HAIR TRANSPLANT SURGERY: PRE AND POST-OPERATIVE CARE
Hair loss and baldness problems are becoming increasingly common in both men and women owing to environmental and lifestyle changes. Technology has made medical procedures more advanced and convenient for the patient than ever before. Hair transplant is an effective procedure for treating hair loss and is becoming popular even among the masses. Here is a short guide by Natural Hair Transplant Clinic in India for understanding pre and post-operative care and instructions for successful results. Before jumping into the quest for natural and voluminous hair, you should know everything about what is to be expected after the treatment.
Hair Restoration Surgery
The surgery itself takes around seven to eight hours per session for transplanting approximately 2500 to 3000 grafts. The exact time taken depends on the number of grafts to be transplanted. Anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving medications are given post surgery. Though local anaesthesia is administered, the effect wears down after a few hours. The patient is made to take rest during this period. At Natural Hair Transplant Clinic, special air-conditioned room along with free Wi-fi and television service is provided so that the patient can feel comfortable and does not feel bored. Lunch facility is also available at the clinic itself.
After the resting phase is over, the patient feels much better and relaxed. Almost all of the patients come to the clinic alone and drive themselves to their homes after the surgery. Hence, there is no burden on you to bring someone along. Before leaving the clinic, be sure to check if all the medicines and sprays prescribed by the doctor are available with you. The solution provided by the clinic should be sprayed every 20 minutes on the transplanted and donor area for the first 12 hours after the surgery. The solution prevents the skin from getting dehydrated thus avoiding the formation of scabs. Other instructions given by the doctor should be strictly followed.
During the consultation, the doctor will instruct a few precautions that must be followed before the surgery is performed. These pre-op instructions should be continued after the surgery as well for proper surgery.
- The patient should refrain from consuming any type of intoxicants and smoking for at least for a week before and after the surgery. It is important as it leads to thinning of the blood.
- Other blood-thinning food items and medications like multivitamins (especially Vitamin E), aspirin, steroids, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, etc should also be completely avoided both before and after the surgery. Blood-thinning can cause excessive bleeding and therefore should be prevented at all cost.
- Avoid caffeinated beverages on the day of surgery.
- The doctor will prescribe Vitamin C for faster recovery. It is recommended to take 1000 mg three times per day.
- Do not process the hair or use any chemical products on the hair.
- Consult with the doctor before consuming any medication.
Two weeks post the hair transplant procedure are important and therefore no risks should be taken during this period. All the doctor’s instructions should be strictly followed and any uncommon discomfort should be immediately brought to the notice of the clinic. Some of the instructions which are applicable to all hair transplant surgery patients are given below.
- Just as before the surgery, avoid blood thinning foods and medications.
- The head should be covered with a light and breathable cloth for protection from direct sunlight and dust. Care should be taken to not cause any tugging and pressure on the area.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. Dry skin due to dehydration causes irritation and itching.
- The patient should avoid heavy exercising and swimming for at least a month. The pool water contains chlorine which damages the grafts.
- Keep your head elevated at all times. Even when sleeping, keep several pillows below the neck to keep the head above the body.
- Some swelling is normal after the surgery. An ice pack should be applied gently over the swelled up area. The swelling will subside in a day or two.
- Shampooing should be done after at least one day post the surgery with a mild shampoo and warm water. The patient should refrain from any chemical hair products and allow the hair to dry naturally after gently patting the hair with the towel to absorb excess moisture.
Hair Transplant Results
The punches made using a microneedle by the hair transplant surgeon heal within 12-48 hours. Results of transplanted hair depend on the rate of hair growth which is different for different people. The hair growth can be observed after 3 to 4 weeks after the surgery. It takes one to one and a half years for full-fledged natural hair to appear.
It is important to stay in touch with the clinic after the surgery and updating the clinic of the progress. At Natural Hair Transplant Clinic in India, apart from the appointments, the post-consultation team keeps in touch with you every day for the first month and then alternate days after that. Weekly and monthly checks are made thereafter to assess the success of the surgery.